InstaForex

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Investing 101 | Stocks and Shares


Although we're about to divert a bit away from our main topic, allow me to share some of the investing knowledge that I picked up along the way. Recently, my friend and I had a conversation on what we do with our own life and stuff. We went through the usual, what do you do? Where do you work? Is the salary enough? The usual if I may say. After sometime, our topic was drifted to investing for the future and ended up talking about stocks and shares. According to him, by the way he's a business major, if you own a share, you own a portion of the company. But a question lingered on my mind, how does it differ from stock?

Curiosity pecked me and urged my inner self to at least try to find something that may satisfy this urge to answer that is prodding me .

In my research in the world wide web, Share, by definition, is a single unit of ownership in a corporation, mutual fund, or any other organization. Meanwhile, Stock is a type of security that signifies ownership in a corporation and represents a claim on part of the corporation's assets and earnings.

As I understand it, they are almost the same thing. It also turned out in my research that these two terms are sometimes interchanged and only has a little distinction from each another. The difference between these two lay beneath their usage. According to sources, the word “stock” is generally used to refer ownership to various companies while “share” on the other hand refers to the ownership of a particular company.

So in case you will be presented with the same question, at least you could right away point out the difference between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment